In 1959, Nissan sold its first pickup in the United States. And so began Nissan’s foray into the truck market, and with it, a reputation for reliability and innovation. Over 50 years later, Nissan still dominates the competition.
The 2017 Nissan Titan has wowed critics, landing over five awards and accolades. But what do these awards mean for the driver? Let’s see what each award signifies.
A Closer Look at the 2017 Nissan Titan’s Top Awards
1. Truck Trend, “2017 Pickup Truck of the Year”
To win Truck Trend’s “2017 Pickup Truck of the Year,” the 2017 Nissan Titan went through a rigorous competition. Here’s a breakdown of Truck Trend’s five-day, 1,200-mile test:
- The judging staff weighs each vehicle to determine its available payload based on that particular trim.
- The judging staff subjects each vehicle to 0-60 mph acceleration, quarter-mile acceleration, and 60-0-mph braking tests under various conditions.
- The trucks tow 75 percent of their rated trailer capacity while driving a 20-mile loop up and down the Cajon Pass of Interstate 15 in Southern California. This route is known for its steep 6-percent grade. During this test, the judges evaluate the trucks’:
- Passing power
- Vehicle stability
- Downhill control
- Towing mirrors
- Integrated trailer brake controllers
- Integrated exhaust brakes
- The judges take the trucks out on a 500-mile highway drive to test fuel efficiency.
- The test ends with the judging staff driving the vehicles on off-highway paths. While traversing miles of desert and mountain terrain, the judges look at a variety of each truck’s capabilities and features, including:
- Traction aids
- Ground clearance
- Suspension tuning
- 4-wheel drive systems
2. MotorWeek, “Drivers’ Choice Award for Best Pickup Truck”
For this award, MotorWeek specifically looks at these four consumer-related factors:
- Price: As a repeat winner of this award, the Nissan Titan maintains its superior value.
- Practicality: The 2017 Nissan Titan offers many useful standard features, including:
- 9,740 lbs. maximum towing capacity
- 1,940 lbs. maximum payload capacity
- Dampened assist tailgate
- Hands-free text messaging assistant
- Remote keyless entry with push button ignition
- Vehicle dynamic control with traction control system
- Vehicle security system
- Performance: The Titan’s Endurance® 5.6L DOJC 32-valve V8 engine delivers 360 horsepower and 394 lb.-ft. of torque. It can go from 0-60 mph in just 6.5 seconds.
- Fuel efficiency: The Nissan Titan offers 21 mpg on the highway.
3. Texas Auto Writers Association, “2016 Full-Size Pickup of Texas”
The Texas Auto Writers Association journalists determine the Trucks of Texas awards after a two-day evaluation of the industry’s leading trucks. Over 50 journalists and 100 manufacturer representatives gathered for the event in 2016. The journalists named the 2017 Nissan TITAN the full-size pickup truck of Texas.
4. Car-spondent, “2016 Extreme Off-Road Active Lifestyle Vehicle of the Year”
The Active Vehicle of the Year competition brings together athletes and automotive journalists. This unusual approach allows the judges to evaluate the vehicles based on how they meet the needs of athletes. Instead of enforcing specific criteria for the competition, Car-spondent relies on the judges’ perspectives.
There are thirteen jurors total, and they all have expertise in the automotive field. Many are also athletes, such as runners, cyclists, skiers, and race car drivers. It was this diverse group that named the 2017 Nissan Titan PRO-4X® the Extreme Off-road Active Lifestyle Vehicle of the Year.
The PRO-4X® trim comes with features that make it ideal for off-roading adventures, including all-terrain off-road tires, Bilstein® off-road performance shocks, and hill descent control.
5. Rocky Mountain Automotive Press, “2017 Rocky Mountain Truck of the Year”
The 2017 Nissan Titan PRO-4X® also won this prestigious award. David Muramoto, president of Rocky Mountain Automotive Press, explained the TITAN’s victory:
My own review of the Nissan Titan revealed qualities that will appeal to consumers in the Rocky Mountain area. Nissan really paid attention to the kind of detail – build quality, ruggedness, and the latest technology – truck buyers love. With several new cab options and bed lengths, the Nissan Titan has the versatility to make it in the Rocky Mountain Region.
Experience the Nissan Titan For Yourself at Asheboro Nissan in North Carolina
The 2017 Nissan Titan has passed the critics test – but will it pass yours? Schedule a test drive today at Asheboro Nissan.
Whether you live in Asheboro, North Carolina, or the neighboring cities of Greensboro, High Point, and Winston-Salem, we’re happy to serve you. Give us a call at (877) 827-4004 or stop by our dealership at 1635 E Dixie Dr.